Candy Cane Cupcakes Recipe
Treat yourself with these minty Christmas delights.
serves (12) cook time ( ) preperation ( )
- 1 stick unsalted butter, chopped
- 3 oz dark chocolate, chopped
- ½ c hot water
- 2 tsp instant coffee powder
- ¼ c peppermint schnapps
- 1 c brown sugar
- ⅔ c all purpose flour
- ¼ c self rising flour
- 2 tbs cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 2 c powdered sugar
- 6 oz white chocolate, melted and cooled
- 3 to 5 tbs peppermint schnapps
- Red food coloring
- Crushed candy canes
- Preheat oven to 320°F. Grease a 12 capacity muffin tin or line the holes with paper cases.
- Combine the butter, chocolate, hot water, coffee powder and schnapps in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- Stir until chocolate and butter melt and the mixture is smooth. Remove from heat.
- Add the sugar and stir to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Sift the combined flours and cocoa over the chocolate mixture and use a balloon whisk to stir until combined.
- Add the egg and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture evenly among the prepared tins.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter and powdered sugar at low speeds until fluffy.
- Add in melted and cooled white chocolate.
- Start by adding 3 tablespoons of schnapps and add more until you reach your desired taste and consistency.
- Divide the frosting in half and add red coloring to one half. Fill two small freezer bags with icing, one with white and one with red.
- Cut off the ends and place both into a regular piping bag. As you pipe both colors come out and form a swirl.
- Decorate the tops with crushed candy canes.