Cherry Cola Cupcakes Recipe
Cherry cola cupcakes that zip you into a 1950's diner.
serves (12) cook time ( ) preperation ( )
- 1 ½ c all purpose flour
- 3 tbs cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ c sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ c buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ c coke (don't use diet)
- ½ stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2 to 3 c powdered sugar
- 2 to 3 tbs milk
- 1 to 2 tbs syrup from a jar of morello cherries
- For the Glaze
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 ½ tbs coke
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 12 capacity muffin tin or line the holes with paper cases.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and beat for about a minute.
- Combine the buttermilk, vanilla and coke.
- Slowly add a third of the flour mix, alternating with the buttermilk mix, ending with the flour mix. Mix until just combined ensuring you do not over mix.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the frosting, beat the unsalted butter until pale and fluffy.
- Incorporate the powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons of milk, beating until well incorporated.
- Add the syrup until you reach your desired flavor and color and beat for a few minutes.
- Depending on your desired consistency you may wish to add more sugar or milk.
- To make the glaze, combine the butter, coke and cocoa in a small pot and heat until the butter has melted.
- Remove from the heat and add the vanilla and powdered sugar until you have the consistency you need.
- Pipe the frosting onto the fully cooled cupcakes, top with a spoon of glaze and decorate as desired.