Fudge Berry Cupcakes Recipe
Fudge berry cupcakes and are rich, diabetic friendly treat.
serves (12) cook time ( ) preperation ( )
- ¾ c sugar or sugar substitute
- ½ c water
- 3 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ c unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅓ c all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 5 egg whites
- 2 oz frozen light whipped dessert topping, thawed
- 1 c fresh berries
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 12 capacity muffin tin or line the holes with paper cases.
- Add the sugar and water in a medium saucepan and stir over medium-low heat until the sugar dissolves and mixture almost boils.
- Stir in the chocolate until melted. Remove from heat.
- Place egg yolks in a small bowl. Gradually stir the chocolate mixture into egg yolks. Stir in the vanilla and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the cocoa powder, the flour and baking powder.
- Stir in the chocolate-egg yolk mixture until smooth.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Stir a small amount of the beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten. Fold chocolate mixture into remaining egg whites.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in tray for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the frosting, dice up the berries and fold into the whipped dessert topping.
- Pipe the frosting onto the fully cooled cupcakes and decorate as desired.
- Nutritional facts at http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com