Ginger cupcakes that are sweet, spicy and gluten free.
serves (12) cook time ( ) preperation ( )
- 1 ⅓ c gluten free all purpose flour
- ½ c brown sugar
- ½ c sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp lemon zest
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 3 large eggs
- ½ c sour cream
- 1 tbs freshly grated ginger
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tbs ground ginger
- 2 to 3 c powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 to 3 tbs milk
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 12 capacity muffin tin or line the holes with paper cases.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugars, baking powder, salt, baking soda, lemon zest, cinnamon, ginger and cloves.
- Add the eggs, sour cream and fresh ginger to the melted butter and stir to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well until everything is incorporated and the batter becomes a little bit shiny and slightly thick.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the frosting, cream the butter until pale and fluffy.
- Add the ginger and powdered sugar and mix on low just until incorporated. Turn mixer to high and whip.
- Add vanilla and whip again. If the mixture seems too stiff add the milk, one tablespoon at a time.
- Pipe the frosting onto the fully cooled cupcakes and decorate as desired.