Iced tea cupcakes with a sharp lemon twist.
serves (12) cook time ( ) preperation ( )
- ½ c milk
- 6 black tea bags
- ¼ c water
- ½ stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 c sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 ½ c all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 to 2 c powdered sugar
- Heat the milk in the microwave for about a minute and seep 3 black tea bags in the milk for about 15 to 20 minutes. Repeat this process with the water.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 12 capacity muffin tin or line the holes with paper cases.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add one egg at a time and beat for about a minute for each.
- After removing the teabags, add half of milk/black tea mixture (discard the remaining milk).
- Remove tea bags from water and add all of the water/black tea mixture and mix until combined.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well and start to gradually mix into wet iced tea cupcake mixture.
- Mix until just combined ensuring you do not over mix.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Add lemon juice and zest.
- Gradually add powdered sugar until the lemon frosting reaches your desired consistency.
- Pipe the frosting onto the fully cooled cupcakes and decorate as desired.