Lemon cupcakes with a strong zesty hit.
serves (12) cook time ( ) preperation ( )
- 1 stick butter, softened
- ½ c caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 c self rising flour
- 2 tbs milk
- 1 tbs lemon zest
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2 to 3 c powdered sugar
- 1 lemon, zest and jucie
- 2 tbs heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 12 capacity muffin tin or line the holes with paper cases.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until pale and creamy.
- Add one egg at a time to the butter mixture and beat for about a minute for each.
- Add about half of the flour and stir or beat it in gently.
- Add about half the milk and stir or beat in gently until just combined.
- Repeat with the remaining flour and milk, adding the zest also, ensuring to not over beat the mixture.
- Pour the mixture evenly among the prepared tins.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the frosting, cream the butter until smooth and creamy.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the butter and mix until light and fluffy. If needed add more powdered sugar to reach desired taste and consistency.
- Pipe the frosting onto the fully cooled cupcakes and decorate as desired.