Mojito cupcakes for the die hard fans of the mojito cocktail.
serves (12) cook time ( ) preperation ( )
- 1 c milk
- ½ c fresh mint
- 1 lime
- ¾ c sugar
- ⅓ c canola oil
- 2 tsp dark rum
- 1 ¼ c all purpose flour
- 2 tbs cornstarch
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ½ to 3 c powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2 tsp dark rum
- 1 tbs lime juice
- 1 to 2 drops green food coloring, if desired
- Combine the milk and mint leaves in a small pot over medium heat until hot but not boiling.
- Remove from the heat and leave to rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Strain the mint leaves from the milk, squeezing to ensure you extract all mint flavor possible. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 12 capacity muffin tin or line the holes with paper cases.
- Zest and juice the lime. Add the juice to the mint milk mix. Set it aside for a few minutes to allow it to curdle.
- Add the zest and sugar in a large bowl and rub together to infuse the lime into the sugar.
- Add the milk mixture, oil, and rum to the sugar mix and beat thoroughly.
- Sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix gently until no large lumps remain. Do not over mix.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the frosting, cream the butter, sugar and salt together just until fully combined and smooth.
- Add the cream cheese a chunk at a time, waiting until each is incorporated before adding the next.
- Add the rum and lime juice and mix just until incorporated. Depending on taste and texture, you may wish to add more powdered sugar.
- If using the food coloring, incorporate one drop at a time.
- Pipe the frosting onto the fully cooled cupcakes and decorate as desired.