Spiced Apple Cupcakes Recipe
Spiced apple cupcakes to warm the coldest of days.
serves (12) cook time ( ) preperation ( )
- 1 ¼ c all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 c sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ c buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 ½ c shredded apple (Gala or any baking apple)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ c powdered sugar
- 1 c maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 12 capacity muffin tin or line the holes with paper cases.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ginger in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl cream the butter until pale.
- Add the sugar and vanilla and keep beating until the mixture is airy.
- Add the egg and beat until well incorporated.
- Slowly add the buttermilk while mixing on a low speed.
- Add the dry ingredients and beat on low until just combined.
- Drain the shredded apples well and then gently fold them into the mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the frosting, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and beat on a low speed until the syrup and sugar are incorporated.
- Increase the speed to high and beat for about 5 minutes, until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Pipe the frosting onto the fully cooled cupcakes and decorate as desired.