Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes Recipe
Strawberry shortcake cupcakes take gluten free baking on a fruity ride.
serves (12) cook time ( ) preperation ( )
- ⅔ c honey
- ⅓ c coconut oil, melted
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- 2 ½ c blanched almond flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ c strawberries, finely chopped
- ⅓ c honey
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- ¼ tsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ tbs strawberry preserves
- Preheat your oven to 325°F. Grease a 12 capacity muffin tin or line the holes with paper cases.
- Combine the honey, coconut oil, eggs, lemon juice, vanilla, and lemon zest in the jar of a blender. Puree on medium speed for 20 seconds or until frothy and smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients and blend on high for 30-45 seconds. The batter should be very smooth and contain no lumps.
- Gently fold the chopped strawberries.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the Italian meringue frosting, firstly bring your honey to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg whites and lemon juice until frothy and you can just begin to see trail marks from your beaters. When you lift out the beaters, you should see soft peaks.
- With the beaters or mixer running, slowly pour in the boiling honey in a steady stream. Continue beating for 6-8 minutes, until the meringue is cool to the touch.
- Gently fold in the strawberry preserves.
- Pipe the frosting onto the fully cooled cupcakes and decorate as desired.