Buttermilk Cupcakes Recipe
Buttermilk cupcakes with a diabetic friendly chocolate frosting.
serves (12) cook time ( ) preperation ( )
- 1 ½ c all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ c buttermilk
- ½ c sugar or equivalent sugar substitute
- ¼ c canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 oz reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- ½ c Greek style fat free plain yoghurt
- 2 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ c powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 12 capacity muffin tin or line the holes with paper cases.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, sugar, oil, egg, and vanilla.
- Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and beat until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the frosting, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Beat in the yogurt and cocoa powder until smooth.
- Mix in the powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.
- Pipe the frosting onto the fully cooled cupcakes and decorate as desired.