Red Velvet Cupcakes Recipe
Classic red velvet cupcakes with a smooth chocolate flavor.
serves (12) cook time ( ) preperation ( )
- ½ stick unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ c caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tbs cocoa powder
- 1 tbs red food coloring
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ c all purpose flour
- ½ c buttermilk
- 1 ½ tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ stick unsalted butter, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 c powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a 12 capacity muffin tin or line the holes with paper cases.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until pale and creamy.
- Add the egg and beat for about a minute until well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl mix the cocoa powder, red food coloring and vanilla extract. Add to the butter mixture and mix thoroughly until combined.
- Add about half of the flour and stir or beat in gently.
- Add about half the buttermilk and beat until you have a smooth mixture. Repeat with the remaining flour and buttermilk.
- Add the white wine vinegar, baking soda and salt and mix thoroughly on high speed for 5 minutes.
- Pour the mixture evenly among the prepared tins.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the frosting, cream the butter with the cream cheese until pale and fluffy.
- Add in the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, beating between additions.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before piping onto cooled cupcakes and decorate as desired.